Thank you for your interest in joining Camp Naru 2023! We recognize the impact that staff have on this experience and the lasting impact of camp relationships on campers’ cultural exploration. We are looking for individuals of diverse experiences and skills to join our staff. If you are interested in any of the positions listed below, please check out the recruitment page for your position of interest:
- Must be 18 years or older by August 1, 2023
- Must enjoy working with children and youth
- At least one semester of college preferred
- Previous camp experience preferred
- Must be able to commit to the full week of camp (August 6-13, 2023)
- Based on the position, additional experiences, skills, and/or licensure may be required
All staff–new and returning–for Camp Naru 2023 are expected to undergo the application process. Here’s how our application process works:
Step 1: Please review the job description carefully.
Step 2: Complete the online application.
Step 3: Your application will be reviewed by the camp leadership.
Step 4: If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a time.
Step 5: Upon completing the interview, we will contact your references.
Step 6: You will be notified of the application decision.
All staff are expected to commit to pre-camp preparations, in addition to the weeklong camp. Please note these pre-camp preparation events (required unless noted otherwise and details are subject to change):
Camp Staff Meet-and-Greet (hybrid; optional)
- New and returning staff will have opportunities to meet and catch up or get to know one another!
- Virtual meet-and-greet: March 24, 2023
- In-person meet-and-greet: May 26, 2023 (Manhattan, NY)
Staff Orientation (virtual)
- All camp staff, including counselors, will attend the virtual orientation via Zoom. It will provide an overview of Camp Naru, our mission and values, staff expectations, and HR logistics.
- Tentative dates: May 19, 2023
- Estimated time commitment: 2 hours
Position-Specific Training (virtual)
- This training will focus on position-specific responsibilities and skills and will be administered separately for counselors, care advocates, and CITs.
- Tentative date: May/June 2023; specific date to be announced by position
- Estimated time commitment: 2 hours
Camp Staff Retreat (in-person)
- This overnight retreat will focus on professional development and team building. Retreat activities will focus on self- and collective awareness of strengths and areas of improvement, with the goal of strategizing how to best support campers as a team.
- Tentative date: June 2023
- Estimated time commitment: 2 days
- Transportation will be provided to and from the retreat site via designated pick-up/drop-off locations, or you may drive a personal vehicle.
Pre-camp training (in-person)
- This training will be conducted at the campsite, immediately prior to the beginning of Camp Naru 2023. The training will cover camp site orientation, camp schedule, on-site logistics, and a training refresher from our staff retreat.
- August 5-6, 2023 (immediately preceding Camp Naru 2023)
- Transportation will be provided to camp via designated pick-up/drop-off location, or you may drive a personal vehicle.
- Estimated Time Commitment: 1.5 Days
Camp Naru 2023 (in-person)
- Our favorite time of the year!
- August 6-13, 2023
- Shuttle from camp provided via bus to Paramus, NJ and Queens, NY (or staff may drive themselves)
- Estimated Time Commitment: 8 Days
Please click the position of your interest from the list below for the online application:
For any questions about the application process, please contact Jennifer So, Co-Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.