Thank you for your interest in joining Camp Naru! We recognize the impact that staff have on this experience and the lasting impact of camp relationships on campers’ cultural exploration. We are looking for individuals of diverse experiences and skills to join our staff. If you are interested in any of the positions listed below, please check out the recruitment page for your position of interest:
- Counselor — New Counselor Applications to open in December
- Counselor Coordinator
- Care Advocate — Care Advocate Applications to open later this Fall
- Must be 18 years or older by August 1, 2024; CITs must be 17 years old by August 1, 2024
- Must enjoy working with children and youth
- At least one semester of college preferred
- Previous camp experience preferred
- Must be able to commit to the full week of camp (August 11-17, 2024)
- Based on the position, additional experiences, skills, and/or licensure may be required
All staff–new and returning–for Camp Naru 2024 are expected to undergo the application process. Here’s how our application process works:
Step 1: Please review the job description carefully.
Step 2: Complete the online application.
Step 3: Your application will be reviewed by the camp leadership.
Step 4: If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a time.
Step 5: Upon completing the interview, we will contact your references.
Step 6: You will be notified of the application decision.
All staff are expected to commit to pre-camp preparations, in addition to the weeklong camp. Please note these pre-camp preparation events (required unless noted otherwise and details are subject to change):
Camper and staff reunion (in-person; optional)
- A bowling event for camper and staff reunion, followed by a separate event for counselors to catch up!
- Tentative date: January 2024 (tentative)
- Tentative location: New Jersey and/or Queens, NY
Staff orientation (virtual)
- Staff will attend the virtual orientation via Zoom. It will provide an overview of Camp Naru, our mission and values, staff expectations, and the HR logistics (e.g., background check).
- Tentative date: June 2024
- Estimated time commitment: 2 hours
- Counselors will participate in a virtual training on an overview of Camp Naru, our mission and values, staff expectations, and the HR logistics (e.g., background check). In addition, there will be a review of the handbook, the camp schedule, and other issues that may arise during camp. Parts of the training will be facilitated by certified trainers.
- Tentative date: July 2024
- Estimated time commitment: 2 hours
Pre-camp training (in-person)
- This training will be conducted at the camp site, immediately prior to the beginning of Camp Naru 2024. The training will cover camper assignment, camp site orientation, on-site logistics
- We will focus on counselor professional development and team building. Activities will focus on self- and collective awareness of strengths and areas of improvement, with the goal of strategizing how to best support campers as a team.
- Tentative dates: August 9-11, 2024 (immediately preceding camp)
- Estimated time commitment: 1.5 days
Camp Naru 2024 (in-person)
- Our favorite time of the year!
- Tentative dates: August 11-17, 2024
- Estimated time commitment: 7 days
- As campers depart Saturday afternoon, we will continue to be at the space for our staff to decompress and debrief, while participating in camp activities and staff bonding. We will depart after breakfast Sunday morning.
- Tentative dates: August 17-18, 2024
- Estimated time of commitment: Less than 1 day
Please click the position of your interest from the list below for the online application:
For any questions about the application process, please contact Benjamin Oser, Co-Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.